Wednesday, July 21, 2010

God is here.

As I was cleaning the refridgerator for Mom this afternoon, I was listening to some music. Lady Antebellum's "I Was Here" played. That song and "American Honey" are the only songs by that group that I liked. While it played, I was thinking back to the first time I had ever heard it. Last summer this song popped up on one of my Pandora stations. Immediately, I loved it. If anyone of you know me, I don't like leaving things at status quo. I don't like to settle for mediocre. When I really thought through the words, I realized something. There was so much of the word "I." The song is full of the attitude that "I can do anything without anyone's help; I will do it all, and everyone better remember me for it." The sentiment of that song is still something I could relate to, especially with my last year of high school coming up. It is in everyone's nature to want to be remembered, to leave some kind of legacy, to make a difference. I know it's in mine. 

I've been thinking a lot about this coming school year. God is going to do great things. I am so sure of it. In all honesty, I have unshakeable faith that God is going to work in the hearts and lives of the students at Harvest like we have never seen Him work before. All of those amazing things don't just happen by accident with His children just standing around doing nothing. I am also absolutely certain that this year is going to come with gigantic challenges to those who profess to be Christians. I'm counting myself in that one. When God works, Satan is also working to discourage believers, sabatoge God's work and deceive even more unsaved people. God can do AMAZiNG things, and it really is my heart's desire to witness Him work!!! It's my prayer that we (I'm referring to other students at Harvest who are Christians) stand united as Christ's body in our school and make a difference in the lives of those around us. I'm really tired of seeing passive rebellion, hypocrites, and cowards all around me. What we need as a school, as a church, and, on an even greater scale, as an island is revival; but that first starts in your own personal life. Revival in your own heart first.  

God has been teaching me that this year I need to stand for Him, no matter what it takes. I'm laying all on the line. My soul cries out to Him to change our school, our island: that all would come to repentance. But I know if I want to see change, I need to lead by example. Whatever it takes, Lord, I'm willing to do. Even if I stand alone. 

This year, my senior year, will be different. It doesn't matter if nobody remembers Ruth Anne Natividad. So long as they know who Jesus Christ is...that's all that matters. I am nothing. Christ is everything. 


I Was Here by Lady Antebellum
"You will notice me
I'll be leaving my mark like initials carved
In an old oak tree, you wait and see

Maybe I'll write like Twain wrote
Maybe I'll paint like Van Gogh
Cure the common cold, I don't know
But I'm ready start 'cause I know in my heart

I wanna do something that matters, say something different
Something that sets the whole world on its ear
I wanna do something better with the time I've been given
I wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life
Leave nothing less than something that says "I was here"

I will prove you wrong
If you think I'm all talk, you're in for a shock
'Cause this dream's too strong and before too long

Maybe I'll compose symphonies
Maybe I'll fight for world peace
'Cause I know it's my destiny
To leave more than a trace of myself in this place!

I wanna do something that matters, say something different
Something that sets the whole world on its ear
I wanna do something better with the time I've been given
I wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life
And leave nothing less than something that says "I was here"

And I know that I, I will do more than just pass through this life
I'll leave nothing less than something that says "I was here"
I was here." 

I do want to do something that matters: live for God. At the end of this year, I want nothing more than people to look back and say, "God is here."

1 comment:

Carl Jr said...

That is very true and encouraging and amazing and exciting to hear! I am so glad that Aaron Scott is the youth pastor because I know he can help the true believers start a revival and carry that on to those around them. I hope I am one of those people too! I want this year to be God's year and every year after that!! :D