Love.
Once again, I've been thinking about this, but more in a worldly sense and how it contrasts with the Bible's definition of love.
While working on my research paper, I've come across places where biographers have stated that Shelley "falls in love," several times, even. The way the sentences are phrased and how it is used so loosely in the context of his life, I've grown to strongly dislike that phrase. To fall in love sounds like a wretched thing. If it's love I'm after, I don't want to accidentally stumble upon it one day and use it as an excuse for unwise behavior. If it's love I'm after, I really shouldn't be the one looking for it. If it's love I'm after, I want to know Jesus' love first and love people like He did, and then He can bring around more love.
Falling in love sounds like an accident, a feeling that comes and goes. The Bible doesn't talk about love like that. Love is not a feeling or an accident. Love is a decision and a choice. Falling in love actually sounds scary, but in 1 John 4 it says that perfect love casts out fear.
I think the way the world views love is depressing, and it doesn't even sound like the love I want at all. It's like the love the world has to offer whets your heart's appetite with a hunger that can never be satisfied, always longing, never full. I don't ever want to know that kind of gnawing emotion. I want to know full sure that God's love is enough, through and through. and I do know that. In 1 John 4:8, it gives me the reason why this world doesn't know how to love, "He that loveth knoweth God; for God is love.
In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. Herein is love not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.--1 John 4:9-10
The Bible never clearly defines exactly what love is word for word, but it definitely clearly illustrates what love is through Jesus' life. In a way, that in itself is loosely and indirectly a definition.
Love is not made of words, but rather, love is made of the actions behind the words.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Ruthie,
Christina Herzog here. Nellie sweetly informed me that I stated in my last comment that I was CJ's brother. Just for the record, I'm not his brother...I am his SISTER. HeHeHe. I figured you already overlooked my mistake (believe me, there are probably more to come, so please bear with me:). Nellie and I had a good laugh over that though and hope you did to.
About your latest post...love... It is so exciting to see how the Lord so faithfully guided Stephen (my husband) and I throughout our courtship, engagement, and marriage. We wanted to be a testimony of His love between the two of us. We chose to do courtship instead of dating, and for us it kept the focus more on wholesome things and pointed back up to the Lord. Sure, we got lots of questions and were laughed at and mocked, but we weren't doing things for people's approval, we were doing them to glorify the Lord. It is so sad to see the way the world gets boxed in a certain mindset and judges you for doing something a little bit different. (Sometimes I think it is because they wish they were strong enough to do it themselves). They end up seeing in the long run that we weren't crazy, and most of the time come back to ask questions and talk about why we chose to do things a certain way. Love, like you said, is not just an accident. It is a precious gift from the Lord and a choice you have to make. Stephen and I have been married almost 6 years and we are so grateful for His love, and the love we have for each other.
Sorry, this ended up being a tad longer than I anticipated. Well, you have a great day, and thanks for posting a comment on our blog. God bless, Christina
Post a Comment