Thursday, March 18, 2010

Midnight half-thoughts.

I couldn't go to sleep last night for the longest time. I was in one of those delirious states where I am kind of sleeping but aware that I really am not. Maybe I'm the only one who ever gets like that, but when it does happen to me, I end up thinking these super crazy thoughts.

One of which was how there are two different ways to go about things. In writing, in math, in drama, in cooking, in art (and many other things, but these were the main ones I was thinking about), there is a systematic, rule-book way of executing the task. And there is a free-spirited, wing-it kind of way to do finish the thing.

For example, writing (in its basic form) is grammar and vocabulary. The grammar is the syntax of the sentence and the vocabulary is the choice of words. You could write a sentence following all the rules of the English language (which is actually like a TON of rules to follow), and it could be the most grammatically perfect sentence of all. Or you could write a sentence from the top of your head (or inside your heart, in my case), and it could be the worst sentence known to mankind. But where does quality lie? In a set of rules or from someone's deepest feelings?

Or you could just totally eliminate my ideas, and write grammatically correct from inspiration. You know, whatevs. They're delirious midnight half-thoughts, so they aren't going to be fool-proof.

No comments: