Saturday, August 22, 2009

Dear blog,

It's been a rough day, in ways. I'm realizing that when things don't go my way or I'm disappointed, I get really grumpy. This is me not trusting God. Here we go again...

Hi, my name is Ruthie.
I'm not perfect. 
My heart breaks.
I have a really deep trust problem.
Most people think that I'm open to others and open to getting myself vulnerable.
They're right. To an extent.
I am open to people.
I purposely open up myself to them.

Why?
I want them to open up to me.
Some people can't do that, because they don't trust people.
I trust people.

But you see, that's my problem.
I trust people.
Who do I really need to be trusting?
GOD.PERIOD

Deep down, I would love to stop being disappointed. 
No, not just by other people.
But mainly disappointed with myself. 
I set my expectations far too high.

Today, after crying for a long while, I quit.
I quit expecting things from myself that I don't have.
I quit thinking I'm perfect.
I quit thinking I've got everything together.
I quit thinking I don't need help.
I quit thinking I can do this by myself. 

Truth is:
I'm not perfect.
I haven't got everything together.
I do need help.
I can't do this by myself. 

I put my desires and expectations in the hands of a loving Father that has known all these truths about me all this time. He's just been waiting for me to come to this point of realization. I need to trust God. It sounds so simple, so elementary. But it's foundational. If I don't trust God, all the things I know about Him are just that: things I know about Him; facts. 

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." Proverbs 3:5 (emphasis mine)

From my heart to yours,
Ruthie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ruthie,
Thank you for this post. Thank you for sharing you're heart.
Also, thank you for being a good example to those around you. When people look at you they see a young lady who truly loves her Lord!