I come from a very well-read family. Think I'm a bookworm? You should meet Dad. He reads all the time. My sister's room has books stacked up in almost every space available. My grandfather was a brilliant man. He, just as I, had an incredible love for books. I have proof of such love for the written word.
In my room, I have a bookshelf that is roughly 6 1/2 feet high and almost 5 1/2 feet wide. I just approximated those measurements. All to say, it's a large bookshelf. Contained on its shelves are parts of book collections from 3 generations of my family. Ok, I make that sound like I have a lot of old books. No, most of them are fairly new. I suppose I mean that the books on my shelf prove that a love for books often gets passed down from one family member to another. I love it. There are so many different kinds of books on my bookshelf. If I decided to read (or reread) all the books on my shelf, I could probably be the most well-rounded, well-read person I know. I may already be that...I don't know. :)
I have books like:
The Oxford Companion to World War II
The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Microwave Cookbook (I think this one is funny)
Understanding Children
The Works of Maupassant
From Sea to Shining Sea: A Treasury of American Folklore and Folk Songs
Five-Minute Mysteries
The Seven Wonders of the World
Institutes in Basic Life Principles
Oh the Thinks You Can Think! (Dr. Seuss. Probably one of my very first books)
A Woman and Her God
The Essential Aromatherapy Book
Uncle Tom's Cabin
America's Hidden Treasures
The Complete Chess Guide (I used to play chess. Imagine that! I failed, however)
Walden (or Life in the Woods)
Apples for Teachers
The Unabridged Works of William Shakespeare
And that...that is only from one of my bookshelves. And only...only just a smidgen (yes, this is a real word) of the amount that I truly own. Yes, I own them all. When my grandfather passed away, he gave all his books to me. :) I don't know if that's down in paper somewhere legally, but I do know that he always appreciated my love for books and always continued to give me more books to devour.
On my personal bookshelves, I have:
The Penderwicks (I love this book!) by Jeanne Birdsall
Life on the Edge by James Dobson
Voices of the Faithful by Beth Moore and friends
Trusting God by Jerry Bridges
Crazy English by Richard Lederer (Good book for word lovers! hah)
Hawthorne's Short Stories by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Amazing Grace by Megan Shull (this is like...the epitome of girl thinking. It's hilarious)
7 Kinds of Smart by Thomas Armstrong Ph.D (Apparently, I'm extremely word smart. Surprise surprise)
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris (aka Kevin jk)
Beautiful in God's Eyes by Elizabeth George
Twelve Extraordinary Women by John MacArthur
Gossamer by Lois Lowry
Keeper of the Night by Kimberly Willis Holt
Sleeping Freshman Never Lie by David Lubar (LOVE this book)
The Power of a Praying Woman by Stormie Omartian
Swear to Howdy by Wendelin Van Draanen
Tangerine by Edward Bloor (phenomenal. one of my favorites)
Ok, I don't know why I needed to make a list of random books on my shelf. I thought it was fun, but it may not be just as fun to read the titles of books of mine. Silly Ruthie. Oh well.
I love books. And in case anybody decided that they wanted to too, I have millions and millions of books on my list of recommendations. :) Ok, maybe not millions.

No comments:
Post a Comment