Sunday, May 31, 2009

Snapshots of Life.

Walk with me.
Don't worry about the clothes you're wearing, what your hair looks like, if you've got the right shoes on, or if you're even clean or not.
The people we'll meet, they won't care.
I don't.
Neither should you.

Smell the air.
It's intoxicating.
How can something be so sweet,
Yet it cannot be held or tasted?
I know. Four letters.
They change everything.
I smell the sunshine. I feel the breeze.
I hear the crunching sound of gravel beneath my feet.
Look over the horizon.
The sun is peeking over the hills, the ocean, the world.

Paint me a picture of the sky.
With your words.
Let me try.
I see a glowing ball of fire,
Burning up the heavens with the same intensity that loving hearts burn.
Does it match yours?
Hints of pink and purple kiss the blazing orange.
Tops of trees, peaks of faraway mountains dress the view like no other.

Take me there.
I'm tired of walking. Too slow.
I'll race you.
Right into the sun.
Leave the car. The bike.
Whatever you used to get here.
Ditch it.
And run.
With all you've got.
As if your life depended on it.

Watch the people.
As they watch us.
They look in wonder.
Tell me. Do you feel it?
Do you feel their gazes slide off you?
That, love, is what you call acceptance.

Breathe it in.
One more time.
Even deeper.
Is that possible?
To breathe acceptance in,
While we're going faster than the scenery?

Slow down.
Do you hear it?
I do.
It's the sound of night falling.
The sound of my heart beating.
The sound of a river bubbling nearby.
Are you listening?

Look at the stars.
It's dark.
I see their reflection in your eyes.
Tell me.
What do you see?

1 comment:

Hazel said...

I love this one, Ruthie!

Your imagery is stunning. (: